Vänskolan i Uganda
Vi har en vänskola i Uganda som vi samarbetar med bland annat inom ramen för "Operation dagsverke". Vi har sponsrat Ugandaskolan med pengar som våra elever samlat in för att rusta upp skolan. Våra pengar har används till att dra in vatten till skolan och även rustat upp skolans yttre med nya fönster mm. Denna insamling gör också att Kasana Junior school som en av få skolor i Uganda kan erbjuda mat till sina elever. Detta gör att eleverna stannar på skolan och resultaten på prov och dylikt har verkligen förbättrats sen de fick den här möjligheten. Vi tycker det är otroligt roligt att kunna hjälpa till och samtidigt blir detta väldigt nära för våra elever som får en bättre förståelse för hur barn har det under klart svårare förhållanden.
Smakprov från skolans rapport. Se den fullständiga rapporten om vår hjälp
REPORT ON THE IMPACT AND CHANGE ON HOW UDDEVALLA KOMMUN SUPPORT HAS BEEN OF GREAT HELP TO US AT KASANA JUNIOR SCHOOL.
For about 5 year Kasana Junior School has been friends to Uddevalla Kommun and the school Norgården, through this friendship Norgårdenskolan started supporting us in different projects we need at our school to help in the education of our students. Through the support given to us we have recorded much improvement at school and with the students. We would like to thank the students and the staff at Uddevalla Kommun for sacrificing what they have to help our students at Kasana Junior School; your support through the year has impacted more than 1000 students that have passed through the school and those that are still at the school. We thank Miss Helena for making sure that the both school stay in contact and sending to us the donation the students and the staff donate to us.
For many years we had a problem of clean water and accessing it was one of the a very big problem, students would walk to the wells where they could fetch water, in the same wells was the place where animals would go to drink water from and this caused challenges as below:
- Student used to get sick from the water because animals grazed/ drink form the wells.
- Students would get bitten by snakes on their way to get water or going to these well because the wells are in swamps.
- Students would miss classes because they had to go to get water to use at school.
After we were able to get clean water at school with the help of our friends Norgårdenskolan from Uddevalla Kommun we recorded the following results;
- The challenge of students missing classes was eliminated.
- Students stopped from getting sick because of dirty water.
- The safety of our students was also solved.
- The sanitation of the school also improved.
- The work around school that needs water like cooking, washing and cleaning also became easy.
Lunch for all students:
Students having lunch with the help of our friends from Uddevalla Kommun:
Many of our students come from families that cannot afford getting them lunch or even pay for their school fees. Many of these families earn less than a dollar per day. At the school we have students from the age of 6 year and we study from 8am to 5 pm they are long hours and if child/students don’t get lunch it is hard for them to stay in school for long hours. It was a challenge for us up until our friends from Norgårdenskolan support us in providing lunch for all students at school.
Before the lunch project:
- We used to register a lot of students missing school.
- The health of the students was very bad due to the fact that they could spend many hours without eating anything.
- Many students could miss afternoon classes because they could not spend long hours on empty belly.
- The concentration level of students during classes was very low.
- During that period we the education performance of the students was very poor.
When the lunch project started:
- We stopped registering students missing school.
- The level of concentration of the students during classes increased.
- The health of the students improved.
- The education performance of the students improved.
- We number of students at school increased because they heard of the lunch provided at school.
School repairing and construction of one more class room:
Due to the lunch provided at school with the help of our friends from Norgårdenskolan, we started receiving more students from the community and surrounding communities. We came to realize that we need one more class from with our friends played a very big role in helping us put up the class room.
The school was in bad shape but with support from our friends we were able to repair some of the class rooms at the school. Here are the photographs to show the difference and the impact that was made by our students from Norgården through their donations and support.